Thursday, January 12, 2012

A Fitness Related Bet

I wouldn't say I'm a betting man in most cases, but I decided to take on a bet the other day for the sake of a friend. I also wouldn't say I'm anything special. I weigh about 190 lbs and have a pretty slim build, but all in all I'm in pretty good shape.

Let me ask you a question, could you stop reading right now and do twenty consecutive push ups? How about five pull ups? You would be surprised at how few people can do this, and I can at least say with a smirk on my face that I can accomplish that task. People these days are just not that fit, and with our sedentary lifestyles it is not getting any better.

Flash forward: I have a good friend by the name of Travis, who has it in his mind to get in shape. Over the next six months I will more or less be his personal trainer, and my goal is to get him to lose about thirty pounds (He weights about 230 right now), and have him in the best shape of his life. This will all culminate in an event known as a "Warrior Dash" where he will run a 5k, and if all goes well, place high in his age bracket. I also may have bet that I can get Travis a six pack. That one might be a little more work.......

Alas, if you are interested in following updates about Travis's progress, then look for the Label Fitness-Travis, and you will find quite a few posts in the coming weeks/months about his progress, along with a time lapse photo project I've been wanting to do for awhile to show his transformation. It should be fun.

As of right now Travis can not do more than seven consecutive push ups, and could not complete one full pull up.

We begin training next week on Wednesday, and as prep he is doing four sets of five push ups every morning this week, with a minute break in between. But for anyone reading this, if you can start your morning even with this, you are on your way to a healthier lifestyle and you will feel great too.

See you in the coming days, and feel free to comment with your own fitness related goals for 2012.

-Fredrick

No comments:

Post a Comment